Friday, March 28, 2008

Pirates-Twins, top of second

Once at Al Lang Stadium, Yogi Berra's pal -- ex-catcher-turned-announcer Joe Garagiola -- told us he would sign for everybody after the game. He promised.
Joe, I never held it against you, because I knew you were fibbing when you said it.
Something the Pirates have done very little of all spring just happened. Jose Bautista hit a home run off Liriano over the left-field fence, only the Pirates' 18th this spring. It was Bautista's second.
1-0, Pittsburgh.
I was 16 or 17, my brother Owen 11 or 12, when we spotted a golden autograph opportunity outside Al Lang in 1974 or '75. It was Hall of Fame manager Casey Stengel leaving the park, accompanied by his caretaker.
We got behind another boy and waited patiently while Stengel launched into his patented Stengelese routine, butchering all rules of English and grammar while still making an insightful point about the game.
Finally, our turn. "May we please have your autograph, Mr. Stengel?" I said, angling Owen closer to play the little-kid card.
"No! I'm done signing!" Stengel harrumphed.
I thought he was kidding at first, then felt the hot flush you get when you're in sixth grade and get turned down for a date.
Not that we'd have saved it, but I always regretted not getting the Ol' Professor's signature.
Bautista's home run is the only noise of the inning.

1 comment:

Billy Blanks said...

You were dating in the sixth grade!

Stud.