Friday, March 28, 2008

Pirates-Twins, top of first

Francisco Liriano is 2-2 this spring with a 5.06 ERA. The left-hander missed all of 2007 recovering from Tommy John surgery on his elbow. He was 12-3 in 16 starts in 2006 with a 2.16 ERA.
He strikes out leadoff batter Nyjer Morgan on a high fastball, but he walks Luis Rivas. Nate McLouth grounds out, Rivas moving to second.
Yeah, it was 1979 and I was home on spring break from college, where I'd finally met the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with (more on that much, much later).
I'd finagled a press credential for the Al Lang night game, but noticed a camera crew being held up outside the gate. Moving closer, I recognized Bill Murray -- star of Saturday Night Live!
He and Garrett Morris and their crew were in town to tape a skit on fictional player Chico Escuela, but the security guard was having none of it. He refused to let Murray in because he didn't have the proper credential.
"But it's Bill Murray!" I protested to the gent who is now 108 if he's still with us.
He was unswayed. "I've only been on the job since Saturday," he explained.
What that had to do with anything I don't know, but I remember Murray's amused expression at the delay. The next thing I knew, the SNL CREW was on the field.
Anyone who saw that show knows how funny it was. I thought you should learn of my role in it.

No comments: