Friday, March 28, 2008

Pirates-Twins, top of ninth

This spring was my first experience blogging.
And while I've no idea who's reading them -- dang, I wish someone would call and ask me to lunch -- it's been fun most of the time, and there's no turning back.
That's the thing about this false spring in this part of the world. No matter how bad we want to recapture our past, the world keeps moving full-speed ahead.
Change is the only guarantee.
See, if I don't blog -- "Yeah, that's for people with nothing else to do in their spare time," I might have muttered years ago -- there are about 50 kids in line waiting to take my place.
Miles Durham just doubles for the Pirates with two outs.
Yeah, it's not too much what I thought it would be like when I was letting Bill Murray in the Al Lang gate as a worldly college student. Sometimes, I even wonder if it is what it is.
Matt Cavagnaro doubles, extending the Pirates' lead to 3-1.
But you begin to realize all you can ask is the first line of some ancient ritualized saying, "Give us this day." And try to make the most of it, even though you fall short.
That's what all these kids below me are doing. A lot must know they'll never be major-league players, but their gifts are their gifts and wasting them is not the thing to do.
So until someone other than myself says I absolutely cannot write, I'll muddle along with a purpose, and occasionally I'll take one deep.

1 comment:

Billy Blanks said...

You've been taking 'em deep since the sixth grade, Mr. Henry!

Keep on keepin' on!

I, for one, love the blogs. Keep up with my favorite ball team, and get some entertainment and perspective at the same time.

Thanks for a great, great Spring. People are reading, so keep up the great work.

It's all about a positive attitude, and you got that in spades. If you ever really want to get the blood pumping, just buy some of my videos.

They're really terrific. You'll be knocking out fools in no time.