Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Maholm happy with outing

Despite allowing three home runs, Pirates starter Paul Maholm was pleased with his outing Wednesday against the Boston Red Sox.
"Overall, I felt great," the Pirates lefty said. "Obviously, you don't want to give up home runs. But when you make mistakes, they can become home runs."
Maholm struck out seven in five innings - mostly on the strength of his slider - and didn't walk anyone.
He was happy in his ability to challenge hitters and said his rhythm was the best it's been all spring.
"I felt great," he said. "The three home runs isn't the bright spot on the day, but that's part of the process of spring training. I'm confident with my mechanics heading into the season."
Maholm was Pittsburgh's Opening Day starter last year. This year, that falls to Zach Duke.
"Zach deserves it. He had a great year last year and is having a great spring," Maholm said. "Would I like to have started Opening Day? Sure. But I think the rotation is set and how it needs to be."

No comments: