Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dotel feels "perfecto"

Sidelined for the spring with a strained oblique muscle, closer Octavio Dotel made his Grapefruit League debut during Wednesday's game against Boston Red Sox.
He threw a scoreless ninth inning that included a walk, a wild pitch and a strikeout. What mattered the most, however, is Dotel felt fine.
"Perfecto," he said. "Everything is great, everything is perfect."
Dotel suffered the injury early in the spring when the Pirates were still working out at Pirate City. Dotel threw an inning in two minor league games prior to Wednesday's outing.
"I'm happy to have that one out of the way," he said. "Hopefully, my outings can better than the one (Wednesday). I was little wild (Wednesday)."
Used mostly as a set-up guy the previous two seasons with the Chicago White Sox, Dotel has 83 career saves, including a career-high 36 he totaled while splitting time with the Houston Astros and Oakland Athletics in 2004.
He hopes to get eight appearances in before the start of the regular season.
"I feel like I'm going to be on the Opening Day roster," Dotel said. "If the season started tomorrow, I'm ready to go."

No comments: